August 25, 2009

Bedtime at 1:40pm

I am back from Ireland, and I am tired! Taking that trip is the best thing that I have ever done. It is so refreshing to remind yourself who you are, what you can do and what you can be. In the next couple days I will be writing a full synopsis of my trip, but in the meantime I wanted to squeeze in a quick Paleo/Crossfit update.
My first non-paleo food was a bad one, but an oh-so-delicious one! My last day at work I indulged in 1/2 of a cupcake to celebrate a co-workers 10-year anniversary. Mind you, these were GIANT, Starbuck's-sized cupcakes, so 1/2 equates to the the size of a whole, normal-sized cupcake. It was chocolate cake with white buttercream frosting and it was marvelous. Following my cupcake, I described the way my head felt as the little metal post on an old-fashioned alarm clock, hammering back and forth between the brass bells. I do not regret one crumb of that cupcake.
In Ireland, I had my fair share of non-paleo foods. Guinness by the pint (it is Ireland, come on!!), a few bites of mashed potatoes, a couple slices of toast with breakfast and one slice of chocolate cake. All things considered, while I most certainly did NOT eat Paleo on my vacation, I did not eat terribly. Lots of meat; chicken, bacon, beef, sausage and lamb. A fair amount of good stuff mixed in with the bad. I'm sure the amount of beer I drank was a little overkill, but it was all a part of the experience. I enjoyed every sip on my vacation while having unforgettable conversations & experiences with Irish locals and fellow tourists alike. But like I said earlier, a complete diagnostic of that later.
In total, I have had 4 days off of Crossfit, it feels like weeks! I went to Crossfit Ireland my 2nd day in the city (after walking 5 miles in circles looking for the place!) and very much enjoyed experiencing the dynamics of working out at another box. I was able to meet Tom, Colm and Will - it is great to have faces & voices to the names I have been reading about for the past several weeks. Will coached our WOD and proceeded to have me front squat a good 30lbs. more than I ever had before, but I did it (one time)! It was a great workout and a great time. I am grateful for their hospitality and kindness, being American #9564 to visit (this week!). I look forward to getting my women's size Crossfit Ireland t-shirt; maybe one day soon they will get some surprise Tribal shirts in the mail, too!

P.S. I'm back on the 90% Paleo bandwagon this week! Gotta get my body ready for Havasupai next weekend!!

No comments: